Bonsai is a journey... not the destination!

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Humble beginnings...

My bonsai journey began in the summer of 2004 with the purchase of a Chamaecyparis Obtusa "Nana" (Hinoki Cypress) acquired from the local nursery. With the exception of knowing that the foliage needed to be quite small for aesthetic reasons, I was pretty much clueless. I had selected 5 trees which seemed suitable for my intended pursuit. Out of the five, two had definite possibilities out of which one had the greatest potential. I took it home and gave it a quick styling. At this time I had no experience with regards to styling but knew what a bonsai should look like. It was relatively easy as the layout of the tree spoked volumes. I removed all dead inner foliage, unsuitable branches and gave the tree its original shape. This tree was never destined for a bonsai pot but rather to fit prominently in a Japanese dry garden design I had envisioned for our new home.

During the same winter I had stumbled across several tropical trees at the local Home Depot. I purchased a couple of Carmona Macrophyllas "Fukien Tea", an Adenium Obessum "Desert Rose" and a Ficus Microcarpa "Green Island". I was quite proud of my purchases, they looked like bonsai, well at least the perceived impression of what a bonsai was supposed to look like to uninformed Westerners.

... and I have been hooked ever since.

No comments: